Friday 14 March 2014

Breakfast Oysters, Big Bombs, and Trollops!

Ah, life in Halifax...

Last weekend, after being here for 4 weeks, Karen and I attempted to put a plan together that would result in some relaxation.  Prior to this past weekend, we had always agreed that we would relax on Sundays.  Words, of course, only go so far.  Our first four Sundays consisted of gym, groceries, cooking, ironing, and keeping Little Mr. A.D.D. occupied. Typically, by the time 8:30pm had hit, there was still no food on the table or relaxation in the lower back.  

Now, for those who don't know me that well, I pride myself on being somewhat of a problem solver (see, as a reference point, the electric car, Pepsi Free, and the upcoming Crimean referendum, all or none of which might have relied upon my input).  When I stepped back and took a look at our issue of lack of Sunday relaxation, I quickly identified the limiting constraint: gym at 10:00am!  Surprisingly, when I suggested to Karen that we punt the Sunday workout and replace it with a brunch, she wholeheartedly agreed.  And so began our adventure within an adventure.  

First, we hit a brunch spot that some relative stranger at the local Farmers' Market had said was the best brunch place in town.  Although it had never been heard of by some of my Haligonian coworkers (turns out it had only been open for 3 weeks), the underground market worker knew of which she spoke.  

The brunch Caesars came with an oyster on top (I was going to give mine to Karen, but decided to embrace the East Coast Lifestyle and sucked back maybe my 2nd oyster of all time).  Karen's East Coast Salmon Eggs Bennie on Homemade Biscuit was mouthwatering (we're not Foodies, but we should have taken a photo - more on lack of photos later). My "Salmon / Latkes / Egg whatever it was", was crazy good (how's that for food critique writing?).  Needless to say, any visitors will be hitting Edna Restaurant, or overseeing Magnus while we do!

Next?  The Hydrostone!  What's the Hydrostone, you ask?  Well, after the Halifax explosion of 1917 (two ships hit in the harbour, one of which was filled with explosives for the war in Europe, and resulted in the largest, pre-atomic, man-made explosion, ever), a crapload of the city was devastated (I do believe that "crapload" is the appropriate scientific unit of measure). The north end of Halifax was rebuilt, based around +300 fireproof houses built with "hydrostone", which I guess is more touristy than saying, "cinderblock".  Still, neat area, neat memorial, and amazing history.  Odd to stand on a hilltop where a fort had once sat, a fort which had actually sheltered part of the city from the blast.

View from memorial towards harbour, showing the site where the ships made contact

 Houses made from "Hydrostone" (looks better in real life)
 The Hydrostone Market (also better in real life)
Karen in front of the Citadel

Sadly, as you can surely tell from the photos, we had forgotten our camera and had to rely upon my iphone.  

Amazingly, after all of that, there was still time free in the afternoon for me to go for a quick run.  I checked the local tourist map and thought I would run around the Citadel and check out a street on the map that had caught my eye.  Needless to say, when I made it to Trollope Street, I was quite disappointed.  

It turns out that my spelling skills require a bit of a refresher.   

Oh, and in case you are just checking the site to see Magnus, here he is not fitting into his chair.  My sense is that he has somehow figured out, intuitively, that there are cousins out there somewhere, and that he needs to get big and he needs to get ready.    

 Magnus prepping for Josh and Sam (and Franny)

2 comments:

  1. wonderful funny (and informative) blog Matt... excellent novel about the Halifax explosion is "Barometer Rising" by Hugh MacLennan...

    had wonderful visit with Magnus and Karen...he is such a happy baby...love the smiles...he is a lovely armful...his drooling is definitely a 'remember when" for moi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a fun read! Sounds like you're having a good time and, yes, we will have to watch Franny around Magnus as she is big on "mine" so heaven forbid he grab hold of something she thinks is hers. He is an armful for sure but a very cute one. Xo

    ReplyDelete