Thursday 10 April 2014

Off-Season Tourists

Hi, Matt here. 

Since I last wrote a post, we have visited the Canadian Highlands of Cape Breton.  While getting ready for the trip, I was amazed at how quickly I had turned into my father: loading the family up in the baby blue wagon to go see, wait for it..., a coastline!  At least no tents and inflatable mattresses in this trip!

(Note: Dad, if they weren't great trips, would I still remember them? :) )

Now, I don't think Cape Breton is really an island, in the truest sense.  It isn't an island like PEI or Toronto Island or Vancouver Island.  It's more like a rebellious teenager who refuses to hold hands at the saying of grace at dinner.  I mean, really, you can throw a rock across the gap and my young nephews could swim it on a calm day.  But, I'm no geologist (or whoever it might be who decides such things).
That said, I do agree with the "Highlands" designation.  As some of our photos, showing the low hanging clouds in the hills, demonstrate.  One could really see a Canadian version of Braveheart being filmed there.  If I had a kilt and there wasn't snow everywhere, I'm sure that Karen could have convinced me to put it on.  Luckily for all, I don't have one and there was snow everywhere.

Mist in the Highlands

Of course, March isn't peak season in Cape Breton, but we were not disappointed.  The place we stayed at could have been the set for the Dirty Dancing movie, with the various buildings built during the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and all well maintained for the summer rush.  

While at the resort, there was really only one other couple there.  There were a few Forces guys at breakfast, but dinner was the three of us and the senior Forces guy with his wife.  One evening, during dinner in the restaurant, we looked over to discover that Magnus was showing off his magician skills and had somehow made his book disappear.  Look closely and see if YOU can find it!  I still don't know how he managed it, as he doesn't raise his hands above his head (I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how he had done it, either).

Magnus the Magician



On the Saturday morning we hit the Cabot Trail, heading north up the eastern coast with the Atlantic on our right.  The forecast had called for sun, and we got a bit of it, but for the most part it was quite grey and desolate.  Oddly enough, very beautiful and a scene that most tourists do not get the chance to experience.
The Atlantic as we ascended Smoky Mountain
The "West Coast Highway", oddly reminiscent of Hawaii

Neils Harbour - So that's where the Eaton Centre location went!

"Pleasant Bay" my butt.  Maybe more pleasant when packed with whale watchers during the summer.

Karen striving for that perfect shot! (There's water over there them hills)

Once back at the resort, Magnus decided to investigate the little phone that kept recording his image.  I suspect I will look to this in the future, relishing the time when he would actually look at me for reassurance and permission. 


I'm Gonna Get'cha!


On the Sunday, as we were leaving our little Cape Breton holiday, and were feeling relatively safe and secure in our all wheel drive Subaru as the temperature hovered around freezing on the wet roads, and we reflected on all those in Halifax who thought that we were crazy to visit Cape Breton in March, we realized: Some ask, "Why?"  Others ask, "Why not?"!

WHY NOT?!


2 comments:

  1. Great photos Matt. Envious of your little trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! I found his book...how smart is Magnus!!!!???he's a latent William Tell Jr....will it be apples next???

    photos are beautiful...I don't remember those vistas...probably b/c i had eyes squeezed shut...

    ReplyDelete