Monday 5 May 2014

A Trip to Peggy's Cove

Karen here.

Prior to coming to Halifax, I had heard of one place to go: Peggy's Cove. I didn't know anything about it other than it was a popular tourist spot. And lucky us, it was less than an hour's drive from our place, so the weekend after Easter we hopped in the car for a day trip.

We decided to drive along the coast, and unlucky me, I got car sick. It has only happened one other time during all our trips in and around Halifax, so I guess I shouldn't complain. But most of our other drives haven't involved super twisted and curvy roads!!!

Anyway, the drive was beautiful and we had a warm day. No coats! Woo hoo!

When we arrived at our destination (after a brief stop so I could recover - memories of Mary Beth driving me around the 'mountain' at Westport!) we were greeted with the following scene.

The famous lighthouse

View of the coast

Rocks? Who knew? But boy, were they ever fun to climb around on. Magnus even came along for the ride!

My adventurous men

Me as close to the edge as I dare!

You can see from the pictures that it was a fairly calm day. I guess it's supposed to be spectacular on a windy day when the waves are huge and they crash against the rocks in majestic sprays. We caught a glimpse of what that would be like.

Water Rising

Did you see how quickly the water rose? Or maybe not cuz I ran away from the edge while filming. :)  We were astounded. There are signs posted all over the place to not go on the black rocks due to how quickly the water can come in. Many a life has been lost on these rocks. So we tried to be careful yet adventurous on our trek.

We also walked into the town of Peggy's Cove where about 30 people live year round when there were 300 at its peak. A real fishing and lobstering community.




Another great adventure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment