Friday 17 October 2014

First Steps Lead To First Blood

Yup. You got it folks.

MAGNUS WALKS!!!

However, this is not some fairytale story.

It begins yesterday when Magnus and I (Karen) got back home from the gym. Once we were in the door, I sat Magnus down and gave him his sippy cup, and then I went to the kitchen to make my protein shake (like I always do). I was in mid shake when I turned to look at him. I thought he would have been sitting on the floor by the door drinking his water. But no! He was standing up, cup in both hands, taking tiny tentative steps towards the kitchen. My heart stopped! My jaw dropped! I sucked in a breath! And I watched my not-quite-one-year-old walk for the first time. Sniff sniff. It was one of the most amazing feelings I have ever felt. :)

So, like every enthusiastic new parent, I turned to find my camera / phone. A second later I heard a feral cry, so I ran to my son. He had made it a few more steps but had obviously fallen. I picked him up and tried to console him, to no avail. So I looked at his face and that's when I saw blood in his mouth! I sat him on the counter, pulled off my t-shirt and started wiping his lips (thank goodness it was an old red gym shirt!). He kept crying and crying, and I had a hard time figuring out where the blood was coming from. I tried to give him his sippy cup to rinse the water out but he screamed at it and pushed it away. Finally I could see that he had cut his upper lip, poor thing. Maybe it was the cup, or maybe it was his new sharp teeth. We will never know, but he ended up with quite the fat lip.


Needless to say, he had a great nap a short time later!

A few hours later, Matt came home early to work from home. He was in the dining room working away and I had Magnus with me in the kitchen. I wasn't sure if he'd be up for trying to walk again, but I gave it a shot. He had totally forgotten about his lip and took a few happy steps towards me. I called out, "Matt! Matt! Matt" and he jumped out of his chair to watch. Matt then grabbed the camera and was able to capture Magnus's third and fourth attempts at walking. I apologize that you have to turn your head for this first one. It's so easy to forget cameras don't have accelerometers like phones do!




So, yes, we have moved into our new home, and we are elated and exhausted. More to follow on that (mis)adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment