Friday 17 January 2014

Three Days Gone

For those who do not know, my work will require me to be in Halifax this winter.  Instead of having me fly back and forth each week, Karen and I have decided to move out there for 3 months from February through to the end of April - we have just booked the accommodations and the hotels for the drive out!

Ahead of the big move, I went out to Halifax for 3 nights last week to conduct some management training. Oh, to be back on the road again: someone making my bed, someone cooking my meals, people in uniforms calling me Sir, Sir leaving towels wherever Sir should choose...  Ah, the freedom and independence!  If only I was still firing 20% of the people I met, then the old trifecta feelings of living on the road would have been complete! 

However, instead of trying to "compress" the staffing list, I was attempting to develop a relationship with some of my new colleagues.  Ho hum.  You know what that means, twist my arm, sure I'll go to the Lower Deck for a few pints on the last night. 

Hali's famous Lower Deck
 
 
So, there I am, sharing a couple of pitchers with some of the Sales VPs (everyone but me in the bank seems to be a VP), not talking much because when the cover band is playing, it is too loud to do much more than smile and nod, and both ends of the conversation can't be doing that! 
 
About 3 songs in, the cover band starts playing a Bee Gees tune that was recently covered by Blue Rodeo. You know the one. It starts with, "There's a light, a certain kind of light, that never shone on me. I want my life to be, lived with you...".  And then I was done.  It very quickly reminded me of why I was so happy to leave that old job on the road behind: because when you are on the road with the job, often all that you have is the road and the job. 
 
Still, being the good soldier that I am, I pulled it together and had another pint or two of Keith's with the boys from Halifax, St. John's, and Moncton.  Making it home safely the next day, Karen was eager to show me that it was about time for our little Magnus to move up a size in diapers.  It does look a little tight around the belly, I do have to admit.



 
 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, but now instead of fearing restraining orders, it is now considered to be "cute". Another unforeseen benefit.

      Delete
  2. Awww...almost teared up there Mattie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep blogging in Halifax. It will be fun to see how things are there. Plus, Magnus will change so much over those few months! Good luck. xo

    ReplyDelete