Saturday 17 January 2015

Karma

Matt here.

I thought I would try to squeeze in a quick post while Magnus has his morning breakfast.  This Saturday morning, while we were trying to catch up on Season 7 of Magnum PI, Magnus decided to interrupt the peaceful tranquility and contemplative meditation that comes naturally when looking at Thomas Magnum's mustache by doing what he has done for every morning since December 26: going for his blocks.  

I have titled this post, "Karma", for a specific reason.  8 or 9 years ago, while Christmas shopping for my nieces and nephew, I had found gifts for all of them with the exception of Charlotte, who would have been around 1 or 2 years old.  I found myself returning to the same area of  the toy store, looking at a box of coloured wooden blocks.  A woman beside me noticed and said, "Oh, we have those and they're awful.  My daughter loves them but they are all over the house and we are always stepping on them and tripping over them."  I thanked her for her warnings and took the box directly to the cash!  

Fast forward to Christmas 2014 and one of Grandpa Ross's gifts:


Of course, I never thought that my past goals of getting nieces and nephews the loudest and most adult annoying toys would come back to bite me.  I believe that Ross's blocks come in a respectable 3rd place behind the noisy hand-me-downs from Jud & Jill (a combined 2nd place) 
 
With one of his many hand-me-downs


and Magnus's Aunt Mary Beth's toy remote control (now forever hidden at the base of the toy box), which Magnus carried around for months and unofficially wins the most annoying toy of 2014.  Congrats Mary Beth!  
Mags and his remote


An honourable mention goes to my mom, who gave Magnus a snow man for Xmas that sang some sort of mind torturing tune when you pressed its hand.  Even when hidden behind Xmas cards on the mantle Magnus would see it and scream for it.  I'm sure whichever family finds it at Goodwill next year will treasure it for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment