Tuesday 16 June 2015

Hoof and Mouth Disease (AKA "Mad Magnus Disease")

Matt, here.  

It has been an interesting 7 days around here in the universe known as MagnusLast Tuesday, I noticed that he was quite hot when he woke up.  The concerned parent that I am, I of course did nothing (I don't even recall if I told Karen).  We just went about our normal routine and I busied myself getting him up and out for daycare.  That afternoon, when Karen picked him up, she was informed that a rash had developed on his bum and that one of the other kids at daycare had come down with Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease four days earlier.  It looks like the kid had passed it onto Mags.  Damn you Hudson, or Hunter, or Hayden, or whatever your name is! 

Getting some good old Vitamin D on that rash!
So, from Wednesday last week to this past Monday, Karen and I mixed it up between working and care giving, as Mags could not go back to daycare until it had cleared up.  With the exception of a trip into the Burlington office on Thursday for me and Karen going in Monday, we worked from home and we split the time between getting work done and keeping Mags comfortable.  Until his fever broke on Friday and the sores in his mouth got better, it seemed that Mags' comfort level was directly related to the proximity of a parent and the TV.  

You can knock him down, but not out!
Buying toys also seemed to improve his mood.

He loves his trucks
Because Mags' fever had broken, we stuck with Karen's scheduled plan to have a "Me" weekend, staying in a hotel and getting some alone downtime pre #2 while Mags and I stuck it out together at home and in the backyard.  

When Karen returned, I learned a little bit more of what she thinks of me... On Sunday afternoon we threw on Madagascar 2 to keep Mags entertained for a little bit.  Now, in the past I've been compared to cartoon characters.  Specifically, 15 years ago when I was 25-35 lbs bigger and drove a small Mazda, my brother-in-law compared me to Mr. Incredible based on this scene:


 Well, then we saw this on Sunday, and a new comparison from Karen was born:



  I can't get no respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment