Saturday 8 February 2014

Halifax Morning Traffic


Surprisingly, Karen and Magnus were still asleep when I woke up this morning.  Maybe not a good sign, as it probably means that there was less sleeping going on at night.   So, before they awoke, I thought that I would try to provide a brief update on our first day and a half in Halifax.  All went well.  
On Thursday night, Karen's brother and his girlfriend, Adam and Lauren, stopped by for a quick visit to say hi after we checked in.  Was nice to see family upon arrival into a new town.

On Friday, Karen and Magnus got out for a walk and Karen got most of the bags unpacked. I got into work easily (10 minute walk along the water amongst all the old historic buildings).  By the end of the day, two of the managers with whom I will be working closely in Halifax already tried to make me feel at home: one offered me tickets to the local theatre for Saturday night (can't go, hosting Karen's brother and his girlfriend) while the other gave me his cell number and home number on his way out the door, "just in case we need anything or get lost, you know."  On top of that, today (Saturday) we are connecting with another BMO employee who I met for 5 minutes when I was here a month ago,  and who is now lending us a bunch of baby stuff while we are here, so that we didn't have to over pack the car on the trip.

Point of the story: in comparison, Toronto people suck! :)

Today's plan (besides getting some pics of Karen and Magnus in our new place so that we can share with you) is to hit the Farmers' Market (again, a 5-10 minute walk) and stock up on other sundries (fun word) for our stay.  We will also connect with the colleague that I mentioned earlier and hopefully try out the gym on-site (Karen) and go for a run on the boardwalk (me, in some of the great gear that Karen bought me for Christmas), before having our guests for dinner. 

Below is the view that I saw when I walked into the kitchen this morning.  The island to the right is Georges Island (if anyone is curious to know pretty much where we are staying).

Halifax Harbour Traffic

Within 20 minutes, the clouds had cleared, revealing the sun rising above Georges Island (with the lighthouse peeking over the right point) and the harbour.  Should be a nice day!  I hope it is the same wherever you might be today.

Georges Island at Sunrise

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty great couple of days. I have a feeling it will be like a but of a holiday even though you are working. I'm a bit jealous....I love the change of scenery and life style that a move can cause...keeps things fresh and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok not a but of a holiday...a bit of a holiday. Comment section can be tough...not allowing for corrections ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It actually sounds like we may lose you to the East Coast forever! :)

    ReplyDelete