Monday 2 March 2015

Kicks from Buenos Aires

Matt here.  

Back from Buenos Aires for a few weeks now and have a moment to give a quick update.  

Hmm, where to start... 30C, great patios, great food, and great company.  I met up with three friends from my MBA class.  Although we all lived in Toronto at the time of the MBA, they are all now dispersed (Chile, Seattle, and Newfoundland) while I am still in Toronto.  Funny how I needed to get a new degree so that I didn't have to travel while for my key buds it was the exact opposite.  

On the food point, I think that I might have had my best steak ever at Don Julio's steakhouse.  The top ranked restaurant ended up being a short walk from our rental house.  It was raining on the walk but with the great tree canopy over the streets (it seemed even in the downtown core there was canopy) we barely even noticed!  Another good sign for the night was that, although there was a big crowd outside waiting for tables, we somehow managed to get seated within a couple of minutes.  A great evening all around.
Above Don Julio's Bar
The Kobi steaks in Tokyo were great, too, but when cost taken into account, the Argentinian beef can't be beaten!

On a daily basis, before seeking out our afternoon patio, we would check out a part of the sprawling city, including Plaza de Mayo.  It was here, from the balcony, that the Perons would speak to their adoring crowds:
General Manuel Belgrano
Another highlight was the colourful and artist filled neighbourhood of La Boca.  Some artwork was purchased, and some was not: 
A gift NOT purchased for Karen
Although Buenos Aires was great, it was equally great to get home.  One of my travel companions, Tim, had bought a gift for Magnus.  It was actually at Tim's 2012 Christmas Party where Karen and I met.  Tim seemed to feel guilty for not having sent something from Seattle when Mags was born and more than made up for it by giving Mags his first pair of cool kicks.  Although Magnus initially appeared to be interested in his new shoes, it soon became clear that getting his hands on the box was his primary focus (as a side note, check him pushing me out of the way at the 56 second mark):




Eventually the box went away and the shoes became the focus.  Although the first fitting was not a huge success...
Unhappy, yes, but stylish!

...we soon discovered that it was not the shoes but instead the manner by which they were applied.  We have now figured out how to get the shoes on him more easily and they have become a Magnus staple.  We were actually out this past weekend looking for Karen's birthday gift and all the salespeople at the trendy clothing store were gaga over the shoes.  Let's hope that Tim has not created a dandy!
Eager to get out and show off his new kicks
Lastly, soon after my return from BA, Karen had to take off to Milwaukee for work, leaving Magnus alone with me for 2 nights (for the first time ever!).  It made me think of the time Homer J. was left alone with the kids for one night:

Not to fret, Mags and I survived the experience!  Here he is after I picked him up from daycare at the end of day 2.  Our Little Lebowski in his toque from his Aunt Tanya.  
The "Dude"
Well, BA is now just a fading memory, but with Tim's photos, the AFA shirt that I got for Karen, and Magnus's cool kicks, there should be a lot around to bring those memories back to the forefront.  

The question now is, where are the 4 of us gonna go next time...?  

And will I be able to cover the cost when Karen gets her turn?

1 comment:

  1. Great write up. Happy to see Magnus sporting the kicks. I believe there was talk of a 2016 Colorado/Utah ski strip... Until next time.

    ReplyDelete